Saturday, January 17, 2009

Where we are

Okay, okay, now that our little "move" is over, I need to let my friends know where we are! We live atop the giant hill between the Salt Lake and Utah valleys. We have gorgeous views all around! Yes, it is very snowy and icy at this time of year, but it is very beautiful! Give up?
Okay, this is hard for me, because it's hard to admit that we're poor and that we needed help. Because that is exactly the situation for our family right now. We moved from our home in Riverton, put mostly all of our possessions in a storage unit in Herriman and moved to John's parents' home. They live in 'Suncrest'- still a part of Draper, but really way above it! It is very beautiful and we feel blessed that they have opened their home to us and are sharing it with us.
If any of you know John at all, you know that he is the kindest, sweetest, hard-working, most wonderful husband and father in the world. He started a custom home building business 2 1/2 years ago, and in 2007, everything was wonderful and moving right along. Our tests and trial were on the way, however. It started on Dec. 27, 2007 when we found out that our baby boy had died. Along with the trial and hardship of losing a child, John's business started to fall apart. We were actually very happy to kiss 2008 goodbye! The scenario for building someone else's home goes a little something like this:
1. Builder and client meet.
2. Builder is happy.
3. Client is happy.
4. Builder begins building clients' home.
5. Client is elated- they are finally getting the home of their dreams!
6. Client gives a list of MUST HAVES for their house- these are things that they absolutely, positively CANNOT live without! Tile, cabinets, rock, stone, stucco, granite and the like.
7. Builder advises client that some of these items are out of their budget.
8. Client gets very angry. Client blames builder for going over budget. After all, this was not part of the original bid!
9. Client decides to take the amount that went over budget from the builder's pay.

I could go on and on, and obviously this is a simplified version of what has happened, over and over again, unfortunately.

So, in August, John decided to finish up the remaining building projects and move on to a new career. He started looking for and applying for jobs. Does anyone know anyone else in this situation? If you do, you will know that finding a job in today's market is very difficult.

The point of my story is not to gripe and complain, it is to tell you how unbelievably grateful I am for the many, wonderful blessings that we have. I am grateful that we have a home to live in. I am grateful for family and friends that are so wonderful and supporting. I am grateful that the prophets advised us to have food storage (especially those in the '3 month' category), I really went gung-ho on that stuff in the summer- we've been living on it for about 4 months now. I'm so grateful for my husband that never gives up and remains positive, even when the odds seem insurmountable. I am grateful for your continued prayers on our behalf. I am grateful that I have a Heavenly Father who has sent us the very blessing needed, at the very moment of need. "As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be." That hymn has taken on a new meaning for me. I am grateful for the gospel, the scriptures, our prophets, and especially our Savior, Jesus Christ. He suffered all things for us.

I found a quote that I really like, "When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup."

That's how I feel today. I am reminded that Joseph Smith's family's crops failed three years in a row before they moved to New York. Joseph Smith needed to be in New York to be near the Hill Cumorah. I am reminded of Lehi's family leaving all their possessions and living in the wilderness. I am reminded of the pioneers walking away from their homes in Nauvoo, not knowing where they were going. Their faith is inspirational and makes me appreciate my circumstances even more.

One more story. We attended Stake Conference with John's parents last Sunday. The Stake President's talk went something like this: When they were first married, they were expecting a baby and moving to California. On the way, his wife went into labor. She delivered a baby boy that was 1.5 lbs. They did not try to save the baby. She was not able to hold or see him, because everyone thought it would be too difficult for her to handle. The baby lived for 24 hours, then died. They continued with their move and discovered that their rent was too high with all the bills, etc. from the hospital. So, they moved to an army barracks turned into apartments to save on rent.

The point of his story was to tell us that they made it through that difficult time. He doesn't know us and our situation, or that we were there at the conference. But the Spirit knew and I felt like this was a little miracle on our behalf. We will also make it through this difficult time!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous view!

Your faith is amazing. It's hard to see only a part of the big picture, but I love knowing that He will always take care of us.

Good luck!

Blackburns said...

Heather,

You are amazing! You have great faith. You are a good example to me. Good luck to you and your family and hope that all works out for you. I'm sure it will. Sometimes we have to be patient and that's hard for me somtimes.

I went private, so if you want you can email me with your email address and I will send you an invite.

Tell my your grandmas name again. I remember the last name is Taylor, but what is her first name. We are going home this weekend, so I will talk to Bryce's parents.

blackburns@q.com

Emily

The Lewy's said...

Heather, I am sorry you are having to go through a difficult time. It is hitting much too close to home. It sounds like you have amazing faith and will overcome yet another trial.

Shelley said...

I love how Heavenly Father always takes care of us in our time of need. He never abandons us. I am sure in time, you will look back and understand why this all happened. Hang in there!

Marianne said...

Thank you for sharing a piece of your testimony with us. I admire your courage and understanding. I love the half-full, half-empty, thankful for a cup point of view. That is the way we should all be. Hang in there, keep up your great attitude.

Linda Barton said...

Hey Heather, I am so glad you are able to share your story with your friends. So many people are in the same "boat" (like we can afford boats anymore!)
I saw you called a few weeks ago, call me again with your new #....I'll look forward to catchong up with you!
Linda

Jen Nelson said...

At least the view is nice ;)

I am so sorry for all your trials. You and your family are so amazing! If there is anything we can do to help please let us know!
You are in our thoughts and prayers and we love you all so much! I have a good feeling about 2009... keep hanging in there!

Rogers said...

Your faith and gratitude is very inspiring Heather. Hang in there... the best is yet to come.

Jenni said...

Heather, I had no idea you were having a hard time! It's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel sometimes, but it's wonderful to see your great faith! My mother-in-law tells me that the scriptures say "It came to pass" not "It came to stay" so think of that as you look at the future. Good luck with everything!!!