Tuesday, February 17, 2009

French Bread Pizza Surprise

A very tasty dinner! I wanted to share the recipe with you.

First mix up some French bread:

1/2 c. warm water 2 pkg. yeast- Combine and set aside to dissolve.

2 c. hot water 1/2 c. oil 3 T. sugar 1 T. salt 6 cups flour

Combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil, and 3 c. flour. Beat well, add yeast mixture and the remaining 3 c. of flour. Mix well and let dough rise for 1 hour in a pam-sprayed bowl. (I turn on the oven to the lowest setting, turn the oven off, and cover the bowl I mixed the dough in and set it in the warm oven.)

This is the dough doubled after an hour.

Divide the dough in half, roll into rectangles, and add toppings. (Left pizza has pepperoni and mozzarella, right pizza has chicken and colby jack- obviously a lot more creativity may be added to this step!)

Fold sides and ends over the toppings. This is the bottom of the loaf of bread.

Flip over onto baking sheet, rearrange the shape as necessary, score with a knife if desired.

Cover both loaves and let raise for 30 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I bake both at the same time as shown, then switch places and turn around after the first 15 minutes. Those with convection ovens don't need to do the switcheroo!

Finished product! Slice and serve. Dip in desired sauce. (Pizza, marinara, alfredo, etc.- I'm cheap, so I drained some moisture out of some spaghetti sauce by placing it in a dishcloth laid over a bowl- the same way I drain the mock mozzarella cheese)



Thanks to N.W. for introducing me to this tasty dinner!
I didn't think I could make it until I tried- funny, a lot of things work that way.....

3 comments:

Blackburns said...

It looks yummy. Something my kids would eat. I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Shauna said...

I am going to try this. It looks so tasty! thanks. You are so creative!!

Marianne said...

Looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to try this one.